Ethical Eating

On this blog, you’ll find a lot of vegetarian recipes. Not all of them are, of course, but quite a few, and here’s why.

I believe in ethical eating. This is a recent decision, so I’m still feeling out exactly what I mean by that, but I do have some partially formed thoughts on the subject. The things we consume, food particularly, affects others. One really obvious example is when we eat meat, it’s because an animal has died. I’m a Christian, and in the Levitical law God gives a lot of really specific instructions about what the Israelites should eat and how they should eat it and how an animal should be treated before it becomes food. Now, I’m not Jewish, and I don’t observe any kosher laws, but I do think the spirit of these laws was that we should care about the food we put in our bodies, especially meat. We should care that animals live in humane conditions. We should care that farmers have a living wage and that the food we’re eating is farmed in a way that doesn’t harm the environment.

So I’m starting slow with this. I’m starting by buying free range chicken, cage free eggs, grass fed beef, fair trade coffee. At some point, I’d love to have all organic dairy products and produce, but alas, my college student budget is not ready for that. Which brings me back to my first point – I have a lot of vegetarian meals on here because I don’t want to spend tons of money on meat. However, I’m not going totally cold (organic, free range) turkey on this. I am no stranger to late night Taco Bell runs, and if you invite me over I will not refuse anything you put before me. Community over discipline, right? But when I cook, when I buy groceries, it’s going to be 98% up to this standard. The other 2% is bacon. Because, you know, BACON.

Advertisements